Tech tips for photography students

Working on a "light journal" assignment for his Communications Arts 350 class, undergraduate Michael Hebert films abstractions near the convergence of melting Lake Mendota ice cover and open water along the Memorial Union Terrace at the University of Wisconsin-Madison during a winter sunset on March 24, 2011. Hebert is using a vintage, 16mm Bolex movie camera and plans to splice-edit his film to produce a one-minute short film. (Photo by Jeff Miller/UW-Madison)

Tech you brought vs what you needed

When I came to campus I brought a 15 inch MacBook Pro, iPhone and 5gb flash drive. The 15 inch MacBook Pro is perfect for editing photos because the screen is very big and allows me to see a lot of detail that I wouldn’t be able to see on a smaller laptop. If you do purchase a smaller laptop, College Library has several 27 inch Macs for editing if you do need a larger screen. I found that the space on my computer and the 5gb flash drive was not enough storage for my huge edited photo files. I purchased a one terabyte external hard drive at the DoIT Store which was a great decision.

Applications you found useful  

As a BFA photography student, having Adobe Creative Cloud is almost a must. It is so helpful to be able to edit photos, graphics or video projects from your own computer. The DoIT Tech store offers Adobe Creative Suite for only $60! If you don’t want to purchase the suite you can go to a library or computer lab on campus and use their computers which are equipt with all the Adobe applications. Google Drive is also super helpful in writing papers and storing assignments. If you need to access homework from a different computer, it’s super easy and helpful to have your homework stored on Google Drive. Another great app is dropbox. As a UW-Madison student you have a free account and unlimited storage space!

Any other technology advice for someone interested in a BFA?

Always keep your hard drive or whatever storage device you use on you. You never know when you might have to pull out an old project, photo or homework assignment. It’s also helpful to store your work on multiple devices just incase something happens to a device. You want to have a portfolio of all the work you’ve done and you wouldn’t want to lose it all.

About Sara Warden

I am from Sheboygan, Wisconsin. I lived in the Bradley Learning Community during my first year at UW-Madison and I enjoy studying at the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery and Memorial Union Terrace.