Tech tips for French majors

La Maison Francaise, the French House at the University of Wisconsin, pictured here on Dec. 7, 2012, houses the French speaking residence hall and cultural center managed by the Department of French and Italian. (Photo by Bryce Richter / UW-Madison)

Tech you brought vs what you needed

When I came to campus I brought a 15 inch MacBook Pro, iPhone and 5gb flash drive. The 15 inch MacBook Pro is perfect for reading articles or online books because the screen is so big. At the same time the 15 inch is a little too big because as a French major most of my work is just reading and writing. There is enough space on my laptop to save papers and other homework, but a bigger flash drive would have been nice for extra work or a place where I could keep some copies of homework.

Applications you found useful

I love using flashcards to study so I found that Quizlet is great. You can use Quizlet on your computer or get the app for you phone. It’s super portable and allows you to study wherever without the hassle of carrying around stacks of flashcards. Quizlet also has games to help you memorize new vocabulary words.

Duolingo is another great app. You can use it on your computer or download the app for your phone. It helps you study a language while having fun. The app even has an option for you to talk to Bots. If you’re nervous to speak in class, this is a perfect way to practice.

If you ever need to the know the translation of a word and don’t have a dictionary, Word Reference is an awesome resource. It will give you the translation, definition and will show you different meanings of a word.

Any other technology advice for someone interested in a French degree?

An iPad would be very helpful as a French major. Some of your articles and books are online and reading them from an iPad would be perfect. You can carry your iPad anywhere instead of taking a big laptop wherever you go.

About me

I am from Sheboygan, Wisconsin. I lived in the Bradley Learning Community during my first year at UW-Madison and I enjoy studying at the Wisconsin Institute for Discovery and Memorial Union Terrace.